Tests & Assessments Certificate Series:
How to Develop Valid Instruments
a 6-Part Mini Series
Take one, all, or any combination
Friday's, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Central Time
2/17, 2/24, 3/3, 3/10, 3/17, 3/24
Intended Audience: This program is for internal and external consultants wanting to sharpen their skills in developing valid tests and assessments. It covers what is required of a test, different testing methods, ways to score performance-tests, and how to analyze test data. You will see real examples and get job aids with practical guidelines you can apply to your work. The Test and Assessment series is part of Hale Center's 2023 theme on Consulting. It is designed to strengthen your technical skills in assessment and measurement.
You can take the whole series or just selected topics of interest to you. When you complete the 6-part program you will receive a certificate in Testing.
Topics in the series are:
- Test Basics: learn what is a test, what is required for a test to be valid. ($59*)
- How to Decide What to Test, Why, and How: learn the value of developing operational definitions and doing a criticality analysis to determine what and how to test. You will get guidelines and tools for developing an operational definition and doing a criticality analysis. ($69*)
- How to Develop Multiple-Choice Questions that Test Higher Level Skills: find out how to use the work of David Merrill and Robert Bloom to create forced-choice questions (multiple-choice) measure memory and reasoning. You will receive a toolkit with guidelines for developing effective multiple-choice tests ($89*)
- How to Analyze Test Results: learn how to do an item analysis to identify which questions and answer choices are effective and ineffective. You will also learn how to compare tests to confirm they are equivalent, that is measure the same knowledge and are equivalent in difficulty. ($69*)
- How to Develop Performance Tests: learn the different types of performance tests, how they differ in their level of fidelity (how life-like they are), and get guidelines on how to develop them. You will see examples. ($79*)
- How to Develop Checklists and Rubrics: learn how to design and develop checklists and rubrics that are designed to score performance tests. Learn to train judges in how to score performance tests and control inter-rater reliability of judges. You will receive templates and guidelines. ($79*)
* Cost per session for the general public. Discounts are available to ISPI, LDA, and Hale Center Professional Members. If you want to register for specific topics only, please contact Judy@HaleCenter.org and she will complete your registration. Also one paid registration for the series allows everyone in your organization to attend at no additional charge. Just send Judy the names.
Materials: Each topic comes with a workbook containing the slides, guidelines, and other supporting materials.
Cost: For the series for the general public is $414, a $30 series savings; the cost for ISPI and LDA members is $384, a $60 series savings; the cost for Hale Center Professional Members is $354, a $90 series savings. Please contact Judy@HaleCenter.org if you want to find out how to arrange for an in-house program.